Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Phoenix Rises

Sir George Gilbert Scott's 1873 Midland Grand Hotel at London's St. Pancras Station, has played host to bats and other vermin for approximately 76 years. Practically revolutionary in its day (the innovation of a ladies smoking room - a big nicotine-stained thumbs-up from the suffragettes), the hotel was considered outdated in 1935 and then closed (lack of bathrooms - the ratio being 5 shared ablutions to 38 rooms). Almost the victim of a wrecking ball, a grade one listing in 1967 saved its bottom, and after a multi-million pound restoration, it has re-emerged as a Marriott Renaissance hotel and residential apartments. Painstakingly returned to its former glory by RHWL and Richard Griffiths Architects (amongst others), this jaw-dropping example of High Victorian Gothic Revival will be reintroduced to society in Spring '11...

St. Pancras

The magnificent staircase

Window love
Erecting 'The Meeting Place' by Paul Day at the St. Pancras Station
St. Pancras International Station
Images and research from here and here
St. Pancras Chambers, Euston Rd, London, UK
Architects: RHWLRichard Griffiths Architects (amongst others)
St. Pancras is currently the London link of the Eurostar terminal 

1 comment:

  1. Love IT!!! Spectacular... especially The Meeting Place.....evokes such feelings of love/lust...very risque for those stiff Brits!